There's nothing like the feeling of driving off the lot in a new vehicle. There's also nothing like the feeling of getting rear-ended by a driver who's texting and then realizing that your new vehicle is a total loss.
Guaranteed Automobile Protection (GAP) makes that feeling a little easier to handle by minimizing the amount of money you'd lose if your auto or boat is stolen or totaled. It covers the difference between the amount you still owe and the cash value of your vehicle as determined by your primary insurance company after a total loss or theft.
GAP insurance covers:
- New and used vehicles — no age limit
- Private automobiles, trucks, and vans, up to $50,000; maximum amount financed cannot exceed $100,000
- Boats and personal watercraft, up to $50,000; maximum amount financed cannot exceed $100,000
- Recreational vehicles (RVs), up to $50,000; maximum amount financed cannot exceed $250,000
- Motorcycles, up to $30,000; maximum amount financed cannot exceed $50,000
- Deductibles up to $1,000
Statistics show that a vehicle is stolen in the United States every 24 seconds, and 18% of vehicles involved in an accident are a total loss. Protect yourself by getting covered with GAP from the moment you finance your auto loan.
Still not sure how it works? See an example of GAP in action.